Mixed Media Wall Hanging by Melina Dahl

11:00

Hi!

It´s Melina here today sharing this mixed media piece that I made some time ago 
as a sample for a previous That´s Crafty! Hochanda show.
I have used the rectangle MDF Chunky, and I really love to work on this new surface!
Works perfectly for mixed media projects because it´s hard, and I don´t think I will ever use 
a regular canvas for a mixed media piece again!


Here´s what I did:


I start by coating the whole surface with That´s Crafty! (TC) white gesso. I apply TC Texture sand paste through the new TC brick wall stencil, TC7022. I also use the waist MDF pieces from the rectangle Chunky. They come flat and you just pop out the pieces for the Chunky from the MDF sheet. The leftovers are perfect for extra texture and interest on mixed media pieces I think.
Last week I shared a video here on the blog, and in the beginning of that video 
you can see how to put the Chunkies together. You´ll find that video HERE.


I put some TC Chestnut Brown Multi surface paint where I don´t have the Texture Paste, give it a coat of TC Crackle Glaze and when dry then give everything a new coat with gesso. Love those crackles!


 I add some more MDF waist pieces, hemp twine, thread and homemade paper flowers and give them a coat of gesso. When dry I do some background stamping with TC Textures Collection Stamp Set 3 using Archival ink in Sepia and Coffee.


I colour my piece using TC Multi Surface Paints in Chestnut Brown and Ocean. I spray with water to make them run and catch all the different textures in the background.


For my focal point I use one of the butterflies from TC stamp set Doodled Butterflies & Leaves and use the matching white/greyboard shape. I start to apply TC Crackle Glaze. When dry I apply a coat of Ocean Multi Surface Paint and wait for the cracks to appear. I stamp the butterfly on the shape and heat emboss with white embossing powder. I use gold wire to make the body and antennas.


I adhere the butterfly, add some splashes with TC Multi Surface Paint Metallic Gold and some clear glass beads here and there. As a final touch I add some darker glass beads in the center of my flowers and my piece is finished.



Thank you so much for stopping by today! See you next week,
xx Melina

Products used:
That's Crafty! Multi Surface Paint - Ocean, Chestnut Brown, Metallic Gold

You Might Also Like

7 comments

  1. Melina, Simply gorgeous,
    I love your flowers, and the butterfly on top of the cord, beautiful colors, too.WOW
    Hugs, Dorthe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely beautiful artwork Melina. The textures are fabulous and the flowers you made look so lovely with your gorgeous butterfly. A great way to make use of the mdf waste too.
    Fliss xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This really is a stunning work of art Melina and so resourceful to make use of those left over pieces incorporating them within your mixed media project. Love your chosen colourway and amazing Butterfly so beautiful in every way. Thank you for sharing.
    Creative wishes Tracey xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is beautiful Melina
    Love
    Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dorthe, Fliss, Tracey, Amanda - Thank you all so much for your kind words 💕

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just love all your fab textures on your creation Melina and I too love using the spare bits too!!
    Hugs
    Donna xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so beautiful Melina, such gorgeous texture and colours xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on our blog, we really appreciate it.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Like us on Facebook